Many women in Miami choose to have breast augmentation surgery to boost their self-confidence and to feel content with the size and shape of their breasts. This is especially true for those whose breasts have changed significantly after pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast augmentation is commonly referred to as a boob job. It is one of the most regularly performed plastic surgery procedures and involves the insertion of implants under the breast tissue to increase the size or change the shape of the breasts.
This operation is done under a general anesthetic. An incision is made to create a pocket for the implant. The placement of the implant will be either:
- Sub-Glandular: Between the breast tissue and chest muscle, or
- Sub-Muscular: Behind the chest wall muscle.
A dual plane placement puts the implant partly behind the breast tissue and partly behind the muscle.
The size and shape of the breast, the slackness of your skin, and your unique anatomy will determine which placement is the best option for you.
Breast Augmentation Scars
Your plastic surgeon will discuss the appropriate incision site with you. It is often done in the crease below the breast which minimizes the visibility of any scar. The incision can, however, also be made in the underarm or around the areola.
Prevent scarring by keeping the wound site dry: a warm, moist environment is ideal for bacteria and could lead to possible infection of the wound.
Breast Augmentation Recovery Time
(Pre and Post-Op Tips and Information)
- Discuss any concerns you may have with your surgeon during your consultations. The type of implant to be used, the placement, and the incision site should be determined together.
- Prepare for a period of a few weeks where your movement will be restricted so that you do not overdo it.
- Your sports bra is an essential element in the healing process. It must be worn for 6 weeks following surgery.
- Do not take part in strenuous exercise or heavy lifting for six weeks following surgery.
- Massage is particularly important following surgery. Discuss with your surgeon how soon it should be started after the operation.
- Do not let your incisions get wet.
- Protect them from sunlight & artificial UV for at least 12 months using an SPF 25 +.
Breast Augmentation Before and After Images
For a better understanding of the results you can expect, look at these images provided patients who have allowed us to use them: