Mommy Makeover Surgery Questions to ask your Plastic Surgeon
Which Cosmetic Procedures Should I Include? Why?
- Breast Augmentation,
which can restore fullness and lost volume.
- Breast Lift,
which helps to lift sagging skin for improving shape.
- Breast Reduction, which will
create a smaller appearance for those with disproportionately large, uncomfortable breasts.
- Tummy Tuck,
which will remove excess fat and skin and, in most cases, restores weakened or separated muscles creating an abdominal profile that is smoother and firmer
- Circumferential Abdominoplasty (body lift),
which will improve the shape and tone of the underlying tissue, remove excess sagging skin and fat, and can improve a dimpled, irregular skin surface. It may include:
- Abdominal area – locally or extending around the sides and into the lower back area
- Thigh – the inner, outer or posterior thigh, or the thigh’s circumference
which slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by removing excess fat deposits and improving your body contours and proportion.
The following areas can be treated:
- Hips and buttocks
- Abdomen and waist
- Upper arms
- Inner knee
- Chest area
- Cheeks, chin and neck
- Calves and ankles
- Thigh Lift,
which reshapes the thighs by reducing excess skin and fat, resulting in smoother skin and better-proportioned contours of the thighs and lower body.
- Arm Lift, which reduces excess sagging skin, tightens and smoothes the underlying supportive tissue, and reduces localized pockets of fat in the upper arm region.
- Brazilian Butt Lift (Buttock augmentation), which improves the contour, size and/or shape of the buttocks by buttock implants, fat grafting or sometimes a combination of the two.
- Vaginal Rejuvenation, which can delicately reshape your vaginal tissues to restore function and help you feel more confident about every part of you.
Which Surgical Techniques Do You Recommend? Why?
The first step is to decide on the procedures you want to include in your mommy makeover; thereafter, a detailed discussion regarding the surgical techniques that would be best suited for you will then be appropriate.
What Should I Do To Prepare For Surgery?
Undergoing a mommy makeover means you will be investing time and (a lot of) money. Make the best of your investment by taking the following steps, which will help you achieve – and maintain – those results:
- Achieve your desired target weight
- Incorporate an exercising program into your daily routine
- Practice superb nutrition
- Keep alcohol consumption at less than 2-3 drinks per week
- Quit smoking
- Establish a no-fail support system for the full recovery period that provides for:
- Ready-made meals while you recuperate
- All the things you’ll need while you recover (such as groceries, bandages, ice packs, and the like)
- Plenty of clean sheets, blankets, pillows, and comfortable clothing
- Books, magazines, and movies to keep busy
- Arrangements for someone to help take care of your children/pets in the first week or so of your recovery.
Are There Less Invasive Or Even Non-Surgical Techniques That Could Fulfill Or Partially Fulfill My Needs?
For the most part, non-surgical mommy makeover treatments do not help to tighten skin. But they may help to correct other areas of concern, such as unwanted fat, hair, stretch marks, cellulite, and visible veins.
Can I Talk To Previous Patients? Can I See Before-And-After Photos And/or Testimonials Of Previous Patients?
Even if your surgeon comes highly recommended, you should do your research. Reviews, ratings, and testimonials will help to give you an idea of his/her reputation. At your consultation, your surgeon should have before-and-after photos and testimonials of past mommy makeover patients readily available (remember, looks can be deceiving). Ask if there are past mommy makeover patients who would be willing to speak with you about their experience.
What Kind Of Implants Would You Recommend? Why?
Silicone and saline breast implants are considered to be equally safe. The differences are:
- Silicone implants are FDA-approved for cosmetic use in women age 22 and older.
- Saline implants are available to women 18 and older.
- The gel inside silicone implants looks and feels more like natural breast tissue.
- Saline implants may not yield as natural-looking results as silicone implants.
- Silicone implants are often more expensive than saline.
- Both silicone and saline implants come in smooth and textured varieties.
Which Size Implants Would Be Best For Me?
The size implants is an individual choice, and depends on:
- The breast tissue you already have
- The dimensions of your chest
- Your body proportions
- Your personal preferences
Where Do You Place The Implant Incisions?
Typically, there are three options for the placement of breast augmentation incisions:
- Inframammary: Incisions are made at the crease below the breast.
- Periareolar: Incisions are made along the bottom of the areola.
- Transaxillary: Incisions are made in the armpit.
Incision placement is generally chosen based on the type of implant being inserted.
Do You Recommend A Breast Lift As Well?
Breasts tend to lose shape and volume (fullness), get flatter and longer, and hang lower on the chest after pregnancy and breastfeeding. Implants can fix the lost volume, but only a breast lift can raise them up higher. If you are unhappy with the sagging of your breasts, you will likely find the best results by combining breast implants with a breast lift.
Do I Need Muscle Repair Surgery?
If you have:
- A hanging or pouch-like appearance to the belly
- A protruding belly button
- Urinary incontinence
- Hip and back pain
Then you likely have a common condition where the abdominal muscles become separated after being stretched out during pregnancy. These muscles can be stitched together during a tummy tuck to help restore the appearance of your abdomen.
What Will My Belly Button Look Like After Surgery?
With a conventional abdominoplasty, the belly button is totally detached and refashioned as part of the abdominal repair. Swelling can lead to very unusual appearance; however, when it subsides it should look fairly normal.
When Will I See My Mommy Makeover Results?
You should be able to get a good idea of what your results might look like within about 3 to 4 months after your mommy makeover. It can take 6 months to a year to see your final outcome.
What Supplies/Compression Garments Will I Need Post-Op? Which Of These Do You Provide?
Your cosmetic surgeon will ask you to wear certain post-surgical compression garments to stimulate blood circulation, minimize swelling, and speed up your recovery. It’s important to follow all your plastic surgeon’s directions carefully and ask if you’re uncertain about anything.
Can You Get Rid Of My Stretch Marks/Tattoos?
Stretch marks can often be eliminated in tummy tuck and breast lift surgery by the removal of excess skin.
Patients who are unhappy with their abdominal tattoos can consider laser tattoo removal after surgery, when there will be less left of your tattoo to remove.
Am I At The Optimal Weight To Get The Best Results From A Mommy Makeover? Would Losing More Weight Improve My Results?
A mommy makeover is not a “weight loss” procedure. Some fat will be removed during your mommy makeover, but getting within a 5 to 10-pound range of your ideal weight and maintaining it will ensure optimal skin resection. For the longest-lasting results, you’ll need to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle long after your procedure recovery.
What About Scar Placement? How Low Will You Make The Tummy Tuck Incision?
There are several techniques for scar placement; in women who have undergone a cesarean section, the existing scars may be incorporated into the new tummy tuck incision.
- A mini-tummy tuck scar can be placed very low because only the loose skin below the belly button is removed.
- With a full tummy tuck, the placement of the scar depends on how much loose skin you have around and above the belly button.
An experienced plastic surgeon will take great care to place scars in such a way that they can be concealed within undergarments, swimsuits, and even low cut jeans. Generally, scars fade nicely with time.
Are There Any Supplements You Recommend Before Or After Surgery To Help Me Heal?
The use of supplements should be discussed with your surgeon and his recommendations followed. Generally, the following may offer some benefit:
- Vitamin C is needed to make collagen; it is also an antioxidant and strengthens the connective tissue in skin, muscle, and blood vessels.
- Vitamin A is required for skin healing and collagen production. It enhances the early inflammatory response and increases the tensile strength of the healed wound.
- Bromelain is a protein-digesting enzyme complex and was approved in Europe as an effective remedy for swelling and inflammation after surgery.
What Are The Risks And Complications Associated With My Procedure?
As with all surgical procedures, there are risks, which may possibly include:
- Bad reaction to anesthesia
- Poor wound healing
- Seroma (fluid collection) formation
Can All The Procedures Be Performed At The Same Time?
It can be done in one or two stages, depending on how many areas need to be addressed.
How Safe Is It To Get Multiple Procedures Performed At The Same Time?
Multiple procedures can be done safely in appropriately chosen patients – the decision to combine procedures depends on your physical exam and overall health. The usual recommendation is to limit surgery to 6 hours.
Will I Require An Overnight Stay At The Surgery Center?
Depending on the number and types of surgeries chosen, recovery times will vary. Your plastic surgeon may recommend an overnight stay if extensive surgery was performed, or if you have other medical issues. Recovery can range from one to four weeks in most cases.
What Are My Options If I Am Dissatisfied With The Outcome?
It is possible to revise some procedures. Discuss it in advance with your surgeon to determine what/if there will be additional costs.